Wednesday 29 April 2015

First Plane Ride to the Durian Capital of the Philippines: Davao City (Part 1)

It was nice to be back after my last entry/travel. I became busy preparing the initial details of my wedding. And yes, I am getting married! That's also the reason why I can't travel much. But, I guess you just really have to make time to relax and find the beauty of your place.

02/26/2014
Before, I only look up the sky whenever i hear the loud sound of the airplane flying up in the air. I dreamed and thought of riding a plane and visit one of the places I have never been to. This dream finally happened last February 26-28, 2015.  I was able to travel to one of the beautiful places here in my country, Davao!

This travel was booked last year, before my fiancé finally proposed a wedding to me. We thought that we might not be able to go because of the busy schedules. But it was him who made it possible. It was my first time to ride a plane though I experienced riding a helicopter before, since my father was a retired air force. I felt too excited since it's going to be a long weekend for us and it's my fiance and I's first plane travel together.  And because I was too excited, I didn't get enough sleep. We were 3 hours early at the airport. My first plane ride was positive, because the flight is "on time".  The travel was 1 hour and 40 minutes only.

I was told before that, when it's your first plane ride, you will feel nervous, feel like choking or even vomit. My mother's experienced was she felt like she's freezing because of nervousness. I didn't realize that riding a plane was like riding a bus as well. The difference is that the plane is flying while the bus isn't. I felt more excited when the plane is about to take off. I took a video and pictures of how everything looks when you're up in the air. All I can say is --- Amazing!


Day 1
First stop, Davao International Airport. While waiting for my friend, we took pictures in the airport. We found the giant durian statue which was created by Kublai Millan, who was known for his giant sculptures.


Second, we visited SM Lanang were we had our Lunch at Giligan's. I was informed that there were two (2) SMs in Davao. One is the SM Lanang were we visited and the other one is SM City. After our lunch at Giligan's, we went to Supermarket to buy some toiletries that we can use as we checked in later.
How to get there:
From Davao International Airport, we rode a taxi. ETT is 10-15 minutes. Fare: P120.00.

We checked in at Carperl's Pension House (Carpel's Emerald Inn) at Camus St. (down town area). We stayed there for 3 days and 2 nights. Our room rate is only P750.00 per 12 hour (or P1,500.00) for Double Single Bed/Matrimonial Bed . It's fully air conditioned, has own bathroom and toilet with hot and cold water(unfortunately the hot water didn't work on our room), there's a cable TV and free WIFI access. Hot water is only free from 6PM onwards. If you wish to have coffee or drink hot water, before 6PM, you'll have to pay P10/cup or P20/thermos. Food's available upon request/order.

How to get there:
From SM Lanang, we rode taxi passing Diversion rd. ETT is 20-30 minutes. Fare is P170.00.

Before we thought of going or visiting other places in Davao, we thought of taking a rest for a while and plan which nearby place to go to.

Third destination, People's Park. It's a walking distance from our Inn, ETT is 5-10 minutes only. You'll find the sculptures of indigenous people created by Kublai Millan. I've read that this is one of the cleanest and greenest public parks in the country. People visit this place to kill time, exercise, go jogging and take pictures. Before heading to our next destination, we ate durian ice cream. I must say, that the durian ice cream taste better than the fresh durian fruit.
 How to get there:
From Magsaysay, we rode a jeep route - Ponciano, we ask the jeepney driver if they will pass through People's park, we get off the street where it's a walking distance to Peoples park. Fare is P8.00. If you're from the main road (Quirino), ride any jeepney routing Quirino, then get off at Camust Ext or you can tell the jeepney driver to drop you of at Peoples Park (it's a walking distance).


Fourth and Fifth destination, San Pedro Cathedral and the City Hall of Davao.  These two were near each other. San Pedro church is just a walking distance from the City Hall. There were religious items sold outside the church. It's big and got amazing big ceiling fans which I've never seen in other churches I've visited. They say that this was customized and was only built for this church. There were Cebuano and English masses. 

Crossing the street is the City Hall of Davao. What so surprising when we got there was that, a lot of people are outside, sitting and watching at this huge screen. The screen is like a huge television which is as big as a bill board. I wonder what they will watch after the news. :)

By the way, while heading to San Pedro Church, we noticed a lot of Grilled Restaurants. I was informed by my friend that Davaoeños love to eat grilled foods. Also, we noticed that since we're at Mindanao, there were some restaurants who don't really serve pork or even add pork as ingredient to any of their dishes. The nearby restaurant in our Inn doesn't serve pork on any of their dishes. 

After our 4th and 5th destination, we had dinner at Penong's. This is one of the famous restaurants in Davao. Penong's is like Mang Inasal in Manila. They both served grilled pork and chicken. They also served fish and other foods. And the price --- it's sulit!

Day 1: Destinations
SM Lanang
People's Park
San Pedro Cathedral
City Hall of Davao
Penong's

Day 1: Breakdown of Expenses 
P120.00 - Fare, Airport to SM Lanang
P326.00 - Lunch at Giligan's
P650.00 - Toiletries
P170.00 - Fare, SM Lanang to Carpel's Emerald Inn
P40.00 - Durian Ice Cream (10 eachX2)
P170.00 - Dinner @ Penong's
----------------------
P1,476.00 + P1,500.00 (accommodation for 2 days) = P2,976.00

No comments:

Post a Comment